Hawaii Interpreting Services is always looking for interpreters and real-time captioners who posses:
- linguistic and cultural competency
- ethical and professional business practices
- and connection to the Deaf community
New to Hawaii? Please visit our Newcomers to Hawaii page for more information.
Hawaii Interpreting Services offers work in a variety of settings including, business, education, legal, medical, and social services. For ongoing K-12 educational work, contact the Department of Education.
To achieve our goal to provide professional, highly skilled interpreters/captioners and meet customer needs, HIS requires the following:
- General Excise Tax License
- Current Certification or Membership
- Proof of Professional Liability Insurance
- Signed HIS Service Contact Agreement
Additionally, if you want to be available for medical assignments, you will also need:
- TB Test
- Immunization Record
- Drug Clearance
- In-House Training (Kaiser only)
If you want to be available for military assignments, you will also need:
- Current Drivers License
- Proof of Auto Insurance (motorcycles not permitted)
- Safety Check
If you want to be available for legal assignments, you will also need:
Please fill out our New Interpreter/Captioner Registration form to get started.